Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A Not So Wee Handbag

Last week, I shared this adorable toddler handbag I made using a tutorial from Make It & Love It. I liked it so much, I wanted to make one for myself but adult sized of course.

One thing I've been "needing" all summer is a cute white purse. I'm not big on the huge leather handbags covered in chains and studs that you find at the department stores now days so I decided to finally make that light and airy bag I've been dreaming of since the warmer weather in May rolled around.

For this version, I used two fat quarters of a pretty embroidered fabric for the outer pieces, bands, and straps and then the liner is made from one fat quarter of plain white material.

For the bag pieces, I just cut one of the embroidered and the liner fat quarters in half making each piece roughly 9x21. For the bands, I used the remaining fat quarter of embroidered fabric and cut those four band pieces to 3.5x18. The strap and the button loop were pieced together from the remaining fabric. Easy peasy!


And the cute little button is from my oddball stash of gold buttons. Check these guys out...


My mom found a gallon sized ziploc bag of these retro gold buttons at a thrift store about 7 or 8 years ago. They were only $2.00 so she snatched them up for me. (Thanks Mom!) Since then, I've used them for all sorts of things over the years from switching out buttons on cardigans to hair clips and jewelry. I'm getting down to the bottom of the bag and that just bums me out but maybe I'll come across another amazing button stash one day. I can dream right?

- Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment